My Big Fat Buddhist Festival

Obviously I am referencing that TV show that was on recently, "My big fat gypsy wedding". What a strangely compelling show. I am still not sure why I watched it or why it continues to float around in my head. Anyway, I am back from the UK and the festival that I attended was in Cumbria which is where all the gypsies also gathered in an episode of the above mentioned show hence the title of todays blog.
While at the festival I wrote the blog for the first day which you can find at
http://kadampafestivals.org/summer-2011/day-1/
If you have time or interest you can see what the festival was like for others by changing to day 2 and so on.
Now that I am home, I am still floating around on the blessings that are able to enter our minds when we meditate on Buddha's teachings and try to keep a compassionate and loving mind towards eveyone. It is amazing how genuinely happy and kind people are at the festival .There are around 3000 people from all
around the world working together to make the festival happen (I was on breakfast shift so up at 5:30 each morning!), sharing the space, meals and most other things. Everyone doing their best to be patient and aware of each others needs. It really does show you what the world could be like if we all truly cared for each other and tried to quieten that urgent voice of our own needs and wants. One simple idea I heard on my first day of the festival was, "You first, then me." It is quite beautiful to try to embody this with a happy mind towards everyone, not just our own circle of family and friends. You first, then me.
As is always the case, positive feelings will come and go and the ability to keep these beautiful ideas at my heart will also wax and wane. But it feels an amazing opportunity came my way and I am so happy to have been able to experience summer festival 2011and to now have the chance to incorporate what I have learnt into my every day life. I hope that everyone around me also benefits since that is the whole point.
So, sending love to all, K.xx  
 

Comments

Popular Posts