Kookaburras

Yesterday when I was walking the boys to school two then three kookaburras sat on top of a lamppost and laughed and laughed as we walked past. Then as we got a bit further away, they stopped their guffawing. We looked back and could still see them but now they were just talking to each other (if that's what kookaburras do?). My son said that they would wait until someone else was walking past and then laugh again. He actually feels a little indignant when kookaburras laugh as he goes by. He really thinks they are making fun of him and he looks up frowning. Eventually though, we all join in laughing.

Me, I love kookaburras. Each time I hear one, it reminds me to laugh at myself. I see it as a reminder not to take myself too seriously. The sound of a kookaburra genuinely makes me feel happy and giggle to myself. I suppose when I think about it, they are not actually laughing but just making their natural kookaburra calls but that might be going into it too much (surprise, surprise!). So I'll stay with the joy of hearing a kookaburra cackling away and laughing myself.

A friend once described laughter as like a shower for the soul. I am not sure where she got the line from, you may have heard it before. Anyway, it does feel like that when you let loose and have a good laugh. She is also very good at seeing the funny side of things (even things you wouldn't think could be funny. She calls it her Joan Rivers humour) and every time we talk on the phone or in person, there is inevitably a good, long shower for the soul involved.

Last night the kids were watching a show on tele which seems to have become their latest favourite. I think it is called "The Regular Show". Anyway, they were both laughing hysterically and even listening to someone else laughing away is just wonderful.

This makes me think of those laughter groups where people get together in parks or wherever and just laugh. One person gets going and gradually others join in until the whole group is giggling and laughing uproariously and snorting and so on. I don't quite get this, seems a bit forced but whatever works.

This morning my older son said that from now on he was going to laugh like this....and he tried out a laughing style. I said that his normal laugh is just fine. I hope he stays with his good old laugh that we've been hearing for almost 12 years now. Oh, the self consciousness of a pre-teen!

Writing this post  has seen me laugh quite a few times, to myself here alone in my study. My own laughter bouncing around the otherwise quiet house.

Sending love and giggles, K.xxx

Comments

Popular Posts