Who likes a pop-in?

It seems that you either love the pop-in or hate it.

I have just returned from popping-in on a friend which is something that I don't usually do. Since I am not a big fan of the pop-in I don't like to impose on others just in case. But this friend had said very clearly last time I was visiting (invited) that she loves people walking on by to just buzz on the bell and pop-in. So I did. And it was lovely. We had a cup of tea together and a good chat and then I was on my way again. I think that the secret to a good pop-in is to keep it short. Then friends can welcome us in, comfortable in the knowledge that they will be able to get on with their day soon-ish.

I have an uncle who hates a pop-in. He is a very welcoming and generous host when people have been invited but hates the idea of being caught out by someone just popping in. Perhaps being caught out looking a bit of a mess, in the middle of a TV marathon, taking a nap, or......well, we can use our imaginations. I understand his point of view and since he has been so clear about it, would always at least give him a quick call before showing up on the doorstep.

Perhaps because so many of us are so busy, we don't like to have our schedules interrupted by a pop-in. But again that is probably the great thing about someone popping in - that we get a break from our schedules or plans and the opportunity to be a bit more flexible with our minds.

Anyway, after today's success, I will re-think the pop-in. So if anybody is in the neighbourhood you could try me out, see what my face looks like when I open the door to a surprise visitor. Hopefully you will see a big, genuine, loving smile with a flexible happy mind behind it. I'll do my best.

Sending welcoming love to all, K.x

Comments

Popular Posts