No big deal

So it turns out that reading my work in front of others felt like no big deal. In fact, once I had read my two short pieces from "The wisdom of women" book, I went on to read out the first few pages of my novel. I was on a roll and enjoying it. I probably didn't put on much of a performance, eyes down on the page and most involved with just speaking loud enough and slow enough that people could understand me, but I did it and have lived to tell the tale.
So I urge you to try something that you are a bit fearful of but still have the wish to do.
I read a small book recently which was lent by a dear friend and is titled, "When I loved myself enough...." It sounds a bit cheesy and I was initially averse to the title because within Buddhist practice we try to think much less of ourselves and more about others (which ironically gives rise to greater happiness and inner peace) but it turns out to be a lovely little book with quite a profound message.
The idea behind it, or the way I took it, was that once our inner urgings and needs are met, then we are much more available in a genuine way to others. That we drop any feelings of resentment or "what about me?" and relax because we are listening to our inner wishes and inclinations and acting on them. Also the concept of "When I loved myself enough...." and filling in the rest of the sentence yourself actually sees you listing positive, kind and useful acts. You might like to source the book yourself. It was written by Kim McMillen. Here are the first two pages:
"When I loved myself enough I came to know my own goodness."
"When I loved myself enough I began taking the gift of life seriously and gratefully."
She continues into some fairly personal and simple affirmations and then suggests that readers could make their own lists. Here are a few on mine:
"When I loved myself enough I wrote lots and quickly and wasn't attached to any of it (it's just words, ideas, writing)."
"When I loved myself enough I gave my daily meditation practice strong focus."
"When I loved myself enough I accepted my life as it is - wonderfully imperfect."
and "When I loved myself enough I learned how to laugh at myself."
And the list goes on.........I found this process quite liberating, positive and fun.
So I offer gratitude to the authors Kim McMillen and her daughter Alison McMillen.
Sending love and autumn sunshine, K.xxx

Comments

Popular Posts