Insignificantly significant

Hello Lovelies,

Last weekend Greg and I went to Uluru for our 23rd wedding anniversary......I could say any number of tourist-y things about the place and also mention the cultural significance of Uluru and sound a bit like a brochure and all of those things would be true but I want to say this instead.

When we heard about the geology of Uluru and Kata Tjuta, the millions of years that such formations take to develop and that a huge bit of the rock that is hanging off is estimated by geologists to fall sometime within the next 110,00 years, I said to Greg, "We are so insignificant."

When we stood near these formations and looked up, again I said, "We are so insignificant."

 

And I was meaning that we take ourselves and our lives so seriously but we will be gone in the blink of an eye and out at Uluru barely a grain of sand will have fallen from the rock and our hugely important lives, the ones that we spend every waking moment organizing and planning and fretting about will be over. So let's make sure we LIVE them.

On the other hand we are here NOW and in that case what we do NOW is significant. When I think like that and also read what a friend posted on FB (facebook, sorry, it's still new to me so just to clarify) about the 5 regrets that people most commonly express when they are nearing death, then I feel sure that what I need to do now is LOVE. And be as open about that as I want. To love my family, friends, the guy who runs the corner shop (wonder if Steve from 7-day food on Canberra St, Randwick will ever read this and think I am really weird?), my students, people on the bus, in fact anyone I meet and those I don't meet as well.

I hope my recently completed novel is significant. I hope my new website about imagining is significant. It will be if it engages people and moves them.....to contribute, imagine or daydream.

See http://imagine365.org/

So the focus can change.

But I am happy to remain insignificantly significant. What about you?

Love, love, love K.x

Comments

Popular Posts