Keeping it light

I have a desktop calender given to me by my dear Mum where each day holds a different quote from the Dalai Lama. Today's quote is:
"The question of human rights is so fundamentally important that there should be no difference of views about it. We all have common human needs and concerns. We all seek happiness and try to avoid suffering regardless of our race, religion, sex or social status."
This prompts me to write about asylum seekers even though I wanted to write something light today because that is how I am feeling with the lovely spring weather and deep gratitude for all the wonderful people and conditions that my life offers right now. But I suppose both of those things could prompt me to write about people who leave behind all that is familiar, their friends, family, culture, food, homes in order to head into the unknown because they simply have no choice. Where they were born or where they live has become dangerous, hostile and unsupportive of basic human rights.
They, they, they, they, they could so easily be me, me, me, me, me. It seems we need to imagine this were so and then offer our opinions or make decisions based on that awareness. What if this were me? How would I like to be met by the people of the country that I have come to for refuge? Just think about this for a moment. What if it were me?
I am mostly ignorant of.....well most things....but I read something recently about temporary protection visas that could be offerred while a person's application for asylum is processed. This could allow the person (man, woman, child) to live in our community while officialdom check through all the relevant documents and decide if they can stay. Of course this all costs money but we are spending so much on detention centres that there is probably no difference. Also we would be saving the person (still imagining they might be me, me and my family, my kids) the anguish of being locked up and the mental health implications that this is having, right now. The person gets to live amongst Aussies and sees our incredibly fortunate way of life and, hopefully, that we are a friendly bunch who want to help. What a different way of arriving in Oz. What a different start to a new life. Imagine that................
Of course many objections appear in our minds, arguments against this possibilty, reasons why it would not, could not work. They are in my mind too but they come from my darkness, not my light and since I am keeping it light, I will try to quieten them.

Enjoying the sun, the warmth and offering gratitude for the good fortune of being born where I have.

love, love, love, K.xx 

Comments

Popular Posts