Fearlessness

Firstly thanks to my friends and family who have been interested in me and my novel. Each time someone asks if I am finished yet, it both stings and inspires. It stings because this has been such a long process for me and who knows if I will succeed in writing the book that I know is struggling to come out like some difficult and incredibly long labour and birth. But it also inspires me because it makes the whole thing real and when I am asked about my book it also implies that it will happen. That the person who is asking believes that I can do this which is inspiring because lots of the time I am not sure myself if I can.

When I was in England not long ago a dear friend asked me over dinner about my book and as we ate delicious Indian curries I briefly recounted the story to her.She asked questions and I knew the answers. I knew why characters did what they did, I knew their psychological backgrounds, their motivations. I knew the town where the story is set. In fact I have made pictures of the house where the main character lives and collages of the town itself. As we talked I told her about research I had done and what I had discovered about the catalyst event in my story which is a vision. A moment of connection between all worlds, a moment when living people have a glimpse into different dimensions and the impact this has on their lives and the town where it occurs. 

My patient and kind friend was very interested and when I saw her again a few weeks later, she had thought about my story and even offered me some suggestions. She certainly offered faith in my ability to get this out and then have it published. How kind!

While overseas I also had some great chats and walks with a friend who is a published author many times over. She is very direct and advised me on which storylines and characters were the most interesting and which were dead ends. (I have been down a lot of those with this piece of work!!!).

So I have been rewriting the story from a different points of view but do not feel I have found the right one. I hope that when I do, the whole thing will just unfold very quickly. A gorgeous lady I know who had a big success with an art book some years ago ("Great Houswives of Art" by Sally Swain, look it up) replied when asked how long it had taken her to complete something along the lines of, "It took me thirty five years and six months." I am hoping this will be the case with me. That finally it will all just come pouring out quickly but with the strong echo of all that has gone before. All the dead ends and mistakes and storylines that were written only to be discarded. Here's hoping.

I dream of the story sounding a bit like the magic realism of authors like Gabriel Garcia Marquez or Ben Okri but with a more down to earth and Australian tone. I will keep listening and it will come.

Thanks for your patience and positive thoughts.

Much love K.xxxx

Comments

Popular Posts