Know-it-alls like me

I used to be a big know-it-all. Just ask my mum. I was one of those kids who always had an answer for everything and never failed to share it. It drove her crazy. I was a know-it-all at school, correcting teachers and not accepting punishments or reprimands without firmly stating my opinion and insisting it be heard. I was a know-it-all at my first part time job over the summer holidays which is no doubt why it ended quite abruptly after a couple of months. I gradually learnt how to keep quiet or at least bite my tongue but inside my own mind I still thought I had it all figured out and yes, knew it all.

Of course life has a way of showing us what we need to learn and eventually I had to accept that perhaps I was not the great sage that existed only  in my own mind. Finally I was able to open up to learning more from others and keeping that know-it-all voice in my head a bit quieter. As the years went by, and I watched the world around me, I found out that in fact I know not much at all and I accepted this and the voice went away completely. (I am probably kidding myself here and those close to me may be choking on their lattes or whatever beverage drinking time of day it is).

Anyway, it felt quiet and made me feel a bit quiet. I started to feel like I knew so little that my opinion should be kept to myself. But here I am writing a blog and articles for publication and a novel. So I have had to find a balance between accepting my ignorance and trusting my experience of life. Trusting the validity of the way I see things even if it is different to yours or (gasp!) wrong.

I have been joyously finding a strong voice to tell the story in my book and it seems to have come from a mixture of the above. From going down many wrong paths and thinking that I didn't have it in me to realising that my own view of the world is unique and may be interesting or is at least as worth sharing as all those other novelists out there. It comes now from a mixture of humility and confidence and I hope it stays with me until that final full stop. 

I think the point that I am coming to today is that we can trust our own ideas and thoughts while remaining aware that we all see things through the veil of our own experiences. So we can learn from one another, respect our differences and laugh at our mistakes.

Yeah, that's it. Have a good weekend................love K.xxx

Comments

Popular Posts