Finding focus

So, I have a new mission of staying focused on one task at a time (ie: finishing my novel asap). How is it going?

Hmmm.....okay. It is going okay. Each time the thought of another project comes to mind, I recall my wish to complete what I set out to do and return focus to "Said". That is the provisional title of my book, also the heading for the last chapter where the mystery at the heart of the story is revealed. It was also written on the front cover of a lovely notebook that a friend gave me years ago. The book was covered in a brown suede kind of fabric and SAID was somehow embossed in the material.

I recently found that notebook in the top of a cupboard with a pile of others. It is full of writing from 1999 and 2000. Stream of conciousness stuff, daydreams, fears, ideas, snippets of stories or conversations. A bit of a journal or a diary too. I have only read a few pages of it and since put it back where I found it to perhaps look at another time. It seemed that I could easily become lost in memories from the past, even feelings and worries of times gone by - it is very evocative to read some of your thoughts and descriptions of the past. Takes you back to old mental habits that are probably left behind. There are also funny recollections in there and we were living in London at the time so lots of travels and excitement, but the point is that it would have been another time waster and since I am going for single focus, I needed to put it aside.

So, how to stay really focused when working from home? It is raining again, should I run out and get the washing off the line? See what I mean? But should I? Now looking out at the rain, listening to it patter on the verandah roof, a dog barking in the distance, a bird calling, thinking about the garden bed and how the basil needs trimming. What to have for dinner? Wondering if my son's soccer game will be cancelled this afternoon and perhaps that would be good because his shirt is out on the line getting rained on.

It is so easy to be distracted. I will continue to work on concentration. I will always come back to "Said", until I can report here that it is finished and being published (another lovely daydream) and tell everyone to rush out and buy it. Or come to the fabulous book launch party. I really had better get  back to it.

By the way, please check out Sally Swains "Art and Soul" website (easy to find on Google) and join me for six weeks of Friday's Creative Heart classes starting 24th February in Glebe where I will be working in a very focused way on my book. That is if you are in Sydney and free on a Friday and not too busy with other things and want to come and create some art (any art, there are no rules) and share it with me and others.

Sending love with strong concentration, K.xxx



 

Comments

  1. Hi Kerry, I really admire you for STARTING to write your book. I have ideas which pester and haunt me but I haven't yet taken the plunge to actually BEGIN. Instead I write blogs, articles, short pieces... It is so exciting that you have made such a good start & it's only a matter of time until you hold your precious book in your hands. Let the washing stay on the line & keep on writing!! Best wishes, The Other Kerry :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts