Be kind to yourself

Today in yoga class the teacher suggested we begin by setting an intention for the class. For me, the intention that came to mind was to be kind to myself. In a way just finding the time to go to a yoga class is kindness to self, but what I meant in my intention setting was being kind from my own mind. As I settled down to my yoga practice and started to look inwards, I realised that my own mind was being unkind to me and this is why I set such an intention.
Now, generally my Buddhist practice encourages me to show and to feel kindness towards others and to quieten my own selfish concerns. But incorporated in all of these practices is the suggestion to find the middle way. I noticed at yoga this morning that I had not been finding the middle way. That I was being quite hard on myself in my internal dialogue and this is surely not the way to happiness.
So during the physical yoga practice, we let go of the intention and just know that it will find it's own way of manifesting. Interestingly, I felt quite vulnerable and delicate during and after the class and still do. It seems that this idea of kindness to myself brought up some other feelings which I will just need to allow and see what follows. Perhaps my self felt a little sad or neglected or just glad to have a kind eye instead of a harsh one.
Of course we need to keep encouraging ourselves to grow, improve and achieve but maybe we can do this with kindness and generosity. In the same way that we encourage friends to be kind to themselves, it seems that we also need to send this attitude to ourselves.
Right now we can cast a kind eye in our own direction. Take a moment to let go of "should haves" or "if onlys" and so on and instead just look on your little self kindly, generously as you would a dear friend. Doing this I still feel a bit wobbly, a bit teary but I am smiling at the same time. I wonder how it will make you feel? 
Sending kindness to you (and me).
love K.xx

Comments

Popular Posts