Friends

I met a friend yesterday whom I had not seen in about a year because she lives in Wellington, New Zealand. In fact we have only seen each other briefly about once a year for the last four years. We rarely call one another or e-mail and we don't skype either. When our children were younger and we lived closer, we spent quite a lot of time together but not any more, not for now.
We met for a walk in Centenial Park and as soon as I saw her approaching, noticed her walk and her mannerisms, her big smile, I cried. Just a little tear but it made me realize how much I love and cherish her and our friendship. I love her way of looking at the world.
The cool thing is that we also met up looking like dags because we were exercising together. If you can call a slow stroll around the park in which we were overtaken by fit looking mums pushing expensive prams exercise. I do. Anyway it is so nice that it really does not matter what we each look like. We are not trying to compete with one another nor make any fabulous impression of how great life is going for us. We get together to wander under the trees and be real with one another. We don't pretend anything and we share the fab things that have happened since we last met with the knowledge that life includes as many difficulties as good times. We talk about those too. 
We laugh a lot. I don't see myself as a particularly funny person but I can make Jane laugh. And she cracks me up. In fact just writing this I have a big smile on my face and thinking of some of the things she said yesterday, I laugh out loud. Actually it isn't even what she says but her whole self and as I mentioned, her way of looking at things, that delights me.
I am not the most attentive of friends. I don't spend much time on the telephone or dashing off witty text messages or newsy e-mails. I probably need to improve on this and thanks to my old friends who put up with me. I tend to try instead to be present with those people I come across in my day. But one day last year I was in a shop which sold beautiful cards and I bought one with Jane in mind. I wrote in it how I thought she was great and that even though we were not in touch very often, she is special to me. She told me yesterday that the card arrived in her letterbox on her birthday (which I still do not know, told you I am bad at these things) and was one of only a few that she received on that day. How cool is that.
I think the point I am trying to make here is that it is a blessing to have these kinds of special people in our lives. People who it is simply easy to be with and who love us just as we are and us them. That's probably the essence of it. So thank you darling Jane and all of my wonderful friends and family. Please know that you are loved and hold a very special place in my heart.
K.xx

Comments

Popular Posts