Bits and Bobs

When I come here once a week or so to add a post I am never sure what will come out. Just now I was walking home and wondered what I would write about this week and my mind started swirling with ideas. Here are a few of them.
With a state election coming up it's all about mudslinging and I find that so boring and such a waste of time and energy. Instead of picking each others policies apart and creating roadblocks for one another why doesn't each side just stick to coming up with the best possible ideas to present to us and then we can decide who to vote for?
I just ran into two writing teachers from years ago in Coogee which seems a positive motivation to keep going with creative writing as well as non-fiction stuff.
Coming to the page (or computer screen) not knowing what will come out is the fun and also scary part of writing. What if nothing appears? What if what does appear is rubbish? The not knowing is hard sometimes especially in creative work and then trusting what springs to mind can be difficult. Sometimes images or ideas come along and they don't seem to fit anywhere or to follow what has gone before them. I think it's all about trust and acceptance. Just listening to what is in your head each day and writing it down without too much judgement. After all its just words on a page, no big deal really.
I met a lady yesterday who is starting up creative reading nights at my local cafe. I was about to commit to a five minute reading (as terrifying as that is for me) then found out that the first one is on a night when I will probably be away. So I am off the hook for now but she took my details and will be in touch regarding the next one. Interestingly she uses two names. One for her normal work as a psychotherapist and another for her creative work. A made up one for her creative self. Greg thought that was loopy but I think it is cool and probably allows her free-er expression when writing or whatever pursuits she follows. She can imagine herself as someone else and perhaps write from that place with less inhibition. He also said that he would come along when I get around to reading and wear a beret. Ha ha.
Last weekend we minded my nephews overnight and it was lovely having four little-ish boys around. I always stop to appreciate my good fortune to be in the company of these energetic, growing, loving people.
Reading each day and thinking each day about the people in Christchurch during and following the earthquake is shocking and sad. A reminder of the fragility of the lives we create and of just how vulnerable we all are all the time. I want to write at length about this. In the meantime I spent a few hours in a chanted prayer session yesterday doing what I can with a compassionate intention. Love to all in NZ.
On a different note, my son came in the other day with something black, round and flat which he picked up from a rubbish pile in the street (my kids are great at that). "It's a record," he told us holding it up as though it was something from outer space.
The sun has popped out on this hot day on the first of March. Off to pick up the munchkins from school.
love K.xx 

Comments

Popular Posts