Just a stay at home mum

About half an hour ago the guy who has delivered our fruit and veg for about ten years came to the door. He is a friendly, funny man who always has time for a chat. As usual on a Tuesday he first spies me through the front window sitting here at my computer. Today he asked me how the book is going and I said that it is not really going anywhere right now but that more recently I have been writing some articles and a few of these have been accepted for publication.
Ben said that was great and then added, "But basically you're a stay at home mum so whatever else comes is a bonus, eh?"
Hmmmm...................that brings up all sorts of feelings and is a title I have not really wanted to wear but today it made me laugh. I laughed at how seriously I often take myself and at how silly it is to care about such labels. I laughed at how I would rather be seen as a writer first and a mum second when this is not really the case. I put my kids first in most instances as most of the other mums I know do regardless of their other commitments or work circumstances. I even recently wrote a story about these feelings which will be published in a future issue of "Sydney's Child."
It feels a relief to finally be able to accept who I am and what my priorities are with only the slightest bit of an adverse reaction in my mind. And that background involuntary tick makes me smile as well.
We all know who we are and what is important to us so the labels that we give ourselves and that others give us really have no meaning. They are just words, a little bit of air with no power unless we grant it.
I have also started work on a non-fiction book provisionally titled, "Stay home, Stay sane" which includes discussion on these kinds of identity issues which all parents face whether they are at home with their kids for a few months, a few years or forever.
I will never forget the first time I pushed a pram out from my house and down Coogee Bay Road and what this seemed to mean about who I was and what my new role was in this world. I am a mum and ten years later, it's about time I got used to it.
Off to get the kids.
Love K.xx

Comments

Popular Posts