Grumbling

A couple of grumbles.

Firstly, the Domain East supplements that come with my Herald on a Wednesday. I usually have a quick flick through these while doing something else at the same time.(!)

What I want to know is, who is selling these gazillion dollar homes? and who is buying them? And why are they taking up so much newspaper space each week? Surely most of the readers of the paper are not gazillionaires. So for the rest of us, we look, sigh, daydream a bit and then notice how small, lacking in harvour views and un-styled our own places are.

I remember when we had been living in a combi van in Europe for about a year and then backpacked home through India and Thailand and to me the thought of any place to live with a private bathroom and a little bit of living space seemed just perfect. Anything more would have felt completely extravagant and unnecessary.

With memories of the only things we owned being tucked into small cupboards in the combi and then on our backs and seeing large multi-generational families in Thailand living together in a small hut, it was easy to feel content with just a little bit of personal space.

Then there's Domain East, perhaps solely existing to make us feel inadequate, unsuccessful and poor.

Of course I am joking. I am well aware of my incredible good fortune and that of most of my neighbours and friends. So I have decided to stop looking through these sections of the paper because the minds that they bring up are not particularly useful. They are not merely daydream-y what-if minds, they are actually quite negative and clingy minds wishing for something that I do not presently have. They are the opposite of contentment.

Secondly, what is it with all of these family stickers on the backs of cars? I don't care if dad likes fishing, mum enjoys shopping and you have two kids and a turtle. That's your business, not mine. You don't need to advertise it on your back window.

Someone has obviously made a killing from producing these cliched impressions of family life and they have probably now bought a house they found in Domain East.

That's all.

Keep smiling, love K.xx   

Comments

Popular Posts