A real live author.

Sitting at my desk, a cup of tea cooling by my side, a scented candle burning (coconut and lime) and a cement truck idling outside my window. Almost perfect.

Last Friday was a good day. I spent the morning with a wonderful bunch of women writing and painting and talking and drinking tea. It seems such an indulgent thing to do but how else do we create if we don't give ourselves the time to do it? To just play and imagine and see what comes out. To go inside ourselves and have a look at all of our experiences and memories and then to see what our minds and hands come up with as a response to all of these things.

Then I came home and checked my e-mails. I had one from a lady called Candy Baker who has written a book called "The wisdom of women" to which I contributed a couple of short pieces. She was after my address to send an advance copy of the book and also to invite me to the book launch which will be held later in April. Yay.

I soon headed off to collect the boys from school. As usual we were late leaving the school as they like to play soccer with a group of friends in the playground before heading home.

As we came out of the gate, Aden pointed across the road to a brightly dressed lady who was packing things into the boot of her car. He called out, "You're the author," and she looked over to us, smiling. She shut the car and came across the road. She is a children's author and had been talking to the kids at school that day about writing, ideas and imagination.

Martin proudly said, "My mum's a writer," and so the introductions were complete. We stood there chatting for a while and she told me how she had managed to get her books published. She has written for adults and children, fiction and non-fiction. It seems that persistence was the key. If she was knocked back by one publisher, she tried another. She did not seem to lose confidence in her work, she just kept trying until she found the right book with the right publisher, et voila, she has her name on the cover. She was also prepared to tailor her books to be what the publishers and the public want. She was in the business of being a writer.

She also talked about what is selling right now in fiction. She said that the paranormal was hugely popular and that romance always sells. As we ended the conversation and walked away, Martin said that I need to write a paranormal romance. Which is funny because my novel does contain both the paranormal and romance. Now there's just the small issue of finishing it.

So it was one of those days when things seem to align and point in the direction that you were hoping for which is just lovely.

Hope you have a wonderful week.

Sending love through the wires and on the airwaves, K.xx

Comments

Popular Posts